Saturday, December 8, 2012

Sister Act



"I understand you would like to help with PSR. How do you feel about 6th graders?"

Most people would have hung up the phone right then, but not me. Nope. My reply was, " Well, Sister, if the Holy Spirit moved you to ask me that question, I must be the person for the job!" I immediately slapped my hand over my mouth, but it was too late. The barn door had slammed.

Honestly, I didn't talk like that in 1995. To this day, I believe it was more the Holy Spirit forming MY words than those of Sister Mary Johnene Wellman. All I had wanted to do was run copies.

...and that was how I started teaching PSR ( Sunday school, for my non-Catholic readers).

Several months later, my husband came home and asked me what RCIA was. "It's the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults. Why?" " I guess I'm starting classes in the fall."

He wasn't even Catholic yet, and he knew: you don't say NO to a nun!

(Unless you are a priest. THEN you can say no to a nun!)

Sister Johnene was a formidable woman. She stood about 5'8" and was slender. She didn't wear a habit, and she always wore a skirt.  Even without the habit, she looked like a religious. There was just something about her. She had an easy smile, but when she was serious- you had better be, too. Her eyes positively shone with her love of the Lord she served for over 50 years.

She loved my kids ( that always gets bonus points in my book) and was just as excited as we were when #6... and then #7 made their appearances.  

She had no doubt in her mind: everyone should be Catholic. When I listen to Catholic Answers, Patrick Coffin ( the host ) will often say, "We know why we're Catholic. Do you know why you're not?" It is the kind of thing Sister would have said. She would randomly ask people, "Have you ever thought about joining the Catholic Church?"  It worked. One year, her RCIA class was one of the largest in the nation. ( So I'm told)

Not bad for little old Lima, OH.

Her time at St Charles must have been nice for her. She lived with the Sisters in Delphos, which was her home ( she was a graduate of Delphos St John). I was really blessed to be at St Charles when she was there, along with a group of great priests  who have helped me on my faith journey.

If I tried to go into detail about what an amazing woman she was and how many lives she touched we'd be here all day.

If you were blessed to know her- you know what I mean.
If you didn't- you missed out on a real gem.

I have never laughed so hard as I did at her funeral liturgy. It was at the motherhouse in Toledo. Fr. Ross. You really had to be there...but it was a great send off for a great lady and a beautiful bride of Christ.

Her birthday into eternal life was nine years ago today, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, the patron of her order. Perfect.

Sister Johnene, I miss you still! Pray for me!

No comments: